The Best of Education and Safety Time (B.E.S.T.) After School Program, funded by an After School Education & Safety program (ASES) grant, provides a safe, structured, supportive environment for students after the regular school day ends. The B.E.S.T. Program is provided at no cost to families who are working or attending school during program hours. As required by the grant, priority enrollment is given to students identified as homeless or foster youth.
Purpose and Objectives
The B.E.S.T. program involves collaboration among parents, youth, representatives from schools and government agencies, and individuals from community-based organizations and the private sector. The program is offered at eleven of our school sites. Programs provide literacy, academic enrichment, and safe, constructive alternatives for students in transitional kindergarten through sixth grade (TK-6) beginning at the time of dismissal from the regular school day and ending at 6:00 p.m. each school day.
Enrollment is limited at each site and is based on a first-come-first-served basis. Applications for the 2018-19 School Year ARE NOW AVAILABLE. In order for your child to attend this program:
- Your child must be enrolled in one of the eleven school sites in the Salinas City Elementary School District that offers the B.E.S.T. After School Program. Those sites are Boronda Meadows, El Gabilan, Kammann, Laurel Wood, Loma Vista, Los Padres, Monterey Park, Natividad, Roosevelt, Sherwood, and University Park.
- Parent Commitment Forms must be signed by all parents whose children are accepted into the program.
- Your child must be picked up daily by someone 18 years or older listed on the emergency card. No exceptions. No child may walk home unless approved by Administration.
- Your child must attend B.E.S.T. daily until 6:00 p.m. Early dismissal from the program is on a case-by-case and is approved by Administration.
- Your child must attend the after school program daily. Three (3) Unexcused absences may result in removal from the program.
- Your child’s behavior must be appropriate and safe for all students and staff. You will be notified of any concerns prior to removal.
If you are interested in enrolling your child/children in the B.E.S.T. program, please complete the application and return it either to the school site your child attends or to the district office. If you are completing the application during summer break, it is to your great advantage to turn the application in at the district office located on 840 S. Main St. in Salinas, CA 93901 or to email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. For your convenience, the necessary forms have been provided below. Thank you for your interest in the B.E.S.T. program. Please be sure to complete ONE APPLICATION PER CHILD.
For access to the most recent evaluation results of the BEST program, please contact the BEST Program Manager at (831) 784-2259 or visit the BEST office at 840 S. Main Street.
- 2018-19 Application (English)
- 2018-19 Aplicación (español)
- 2017-18 Application (English)
- 2017-18 Application (Spanish)
- Policies (English)
- Policies (Spanish)
- Parent commitment form (English and Spanish)
- Early Release form (English)
- Early Release form (Spanish)
- Video, Photo, and Web Page Release
Kristi Burns Vacant
BEST Program Manager Typist Clerk ll Fax: 831-753-4180
(831) 784 - 2259 (831) 784-2216