“Blue Zones Project is a community well-being improvement initiative designed to change the way people experience the world around them. Because healthier environments naturally nudge people toward healthier choices, Blue Zones Project focuses on influencing the Life Radius® — the area close to home in which people spend 90 percent of their lives. Blue Zones Project best practices use people, places, and policy as levers to transform those surroundings. Our communities have populations with greater well-being, improved health outcomes, reduced costs, and increased civic pride, all of which support healthy economic development.
Our Blue Zone Schools
Students are allowed to bring sunscreen with them to school and self-apply it, as needed. It is allowed to be kept in their designated backpack and used as needed.
State of California EDUCATION CODE Section 35183.5 35183.5.
- Each school site shall allow for outdoor use during the school day, articles of sun-protective clothing, including, but not limited to, hats.
- Each school site may set a policy related to the type of sun-protective clothing, including, but not limited to, hats, that pupils will be allowed to use outdoors pursuant to paragraph 1.
- Specific clothing and hats determined by the school district or school site to be gang-related or inappropriate apparel may be prohibited by the dress code policy.
- Each school site shall allow pupils the use of sunscreen during the school day without a physician’s note or prescription.
- For purposes of this subdivision, sunscreen is not an over-the-counter medication.
- Nothing in this subdivision requires school personnel to assist pupils in applying sunscreen.